Friday, January 2, 2015

0102-The Austere Governor


The Austere Governor


  A GOVERNOR visiting a State prison was implored by a Convict to 
pardon him.

  "What are you in for?" asked the Governor.

  "I held a high office," the Convict humbly replied, "and sold 
subordinate appointments."

  "Then I decline to interfere," said the Governor, with asperity; "a 
man who abuses his office by making it serve a private end and 
purvey a personal advantage is unfit to be free.  By the way, Mr. 
Warden," he added to that official, as the Convict slunk away, "in 
appointing you to this position, I was given to understand that 
your friends could make the Shikane county delegation to the next 
State convention solid for - for the present Administration.  Was I 
rightly informed?"

  "You were, sir."

  "Very well, then, I will bid you good-day.  Please be so good as to 
appoint my nephew Night Chaplain and Reminder of Mothers and 
Sisters."