Thursday, December 11, 2014

1216 (was: 1215)

[first stoyr]

 Two in Trouble


  MEETING a fat and patriotic Statesman on his way to Washington to 
beseech the President for an office, an idle Tramp accosted him and 
begged twenty-five cents with which to buy a suit of clothes.

  "Melancholy wreck," said the Statesman, "what brought you to this 
state of degradation?  Liquor, I suppose."

  "I am temperate to the verge of absurdity," replied the Tramp.  "My 
foible was patriotism; I was ruined by the baneful habit of trying 
to serve my country.  What ruined you?"

  "Indolence."








[second story]


 The Witch's Steed


  A BROOMSTICK which had long served a witch as a steed complained of 
the nature of its employment, which it thought degrading.

  "Very well," said the Witch, "I will give you work in which you 
will be associated with intellect - you will come in contact with 
brains.  I shall present you to a housewife."

  "What!" said the Broomstick, "do you consider the hands of a 
housewife intellectual?"

  "I referred," said the Witch, "to the head of her good man."