Tuesday, December 16, 2014

1222- The Honest Cadi

 The Honest Cadi


  A ROBBER who had plundered a Merchant of one thousand pieces of 
gold was taken before the Cadi, who asked him if he had anything to 
say why he should not be decapitated.

  "Your Honour," said the Robber, "I could do no otherwise than take 
the money, for Allah made me that way."

  "Your defence is ingenious and sound," said the Cadi, "and I must 
acquit you of criminality.  Unfortunately, Allah has made me so 
that I must also take off your head - unless," he added, 
thoughtfully, "you offer me half of the gold; for He made me weak 
under temptation."

  Thereupon the Robber put five hundred pieces of gold into the 
Cadi's hand.

  "Good," said the Cadi.  "I shall now remove but one half your head.  
To show my trust in your discretion I shall leave intact the half 
you talk with."